Pages

9.18.2012

Root Vegetable Beef Stew

Here in Minnesota fall is upon us.  We are rising to cool crisp mornings, crunchy leaves under foot, and the scamper of squirrels hurrying to bury their treasures for the winter.  Fall is also when my urge and desire to have a big bowl of warm and yummy soup with some crusty bread peaks!  My mom tells me I wanted nothing to do with stew when I was younger, but yet I have some the yummiest memories of a bowl of stew with barley!  Due to these memories, a few months back I started pinning stew recipes and I was finally able to try this recipe!  It did not disappoint and I love how it isn't completely traditional.  There are no potatoes in it and it has the wonderful addition of sliced mushrooms  (I bought the sliced mini portabella mushrooms in the fresh produce area)!  I doubled the recipe with no issues and now have some in the freezer for another day!

Enjoy!


Root Vegetable Beef Stew

1/4 Cup Flour
1/4 Tsp Sea Salt
1/8 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
3/4-1 lb Beef Round, cubed
3 Tbsp Olive Oil, divided
2 Large Stalks Celery, chopped
1 Cup Chopped Carrots
1 Cup Pealed & Chopped Rutabega
1 Cup Fresh Mushrooms, sliced
1/3 Cup Pearled Barley
1 Qt Beef Broth, divided
1 Bay Leaf
Opt: 1/4 Cup Chopped Parsley for garnish

In medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and pepper.  Toss beef cubes in flour mixture until all sides are coated.  Reserve any leftover flour mixture.

In soup pot (or large dutch oven), heat 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat.  Brown beef on all sides and remove to plate.  Add remaining tablespoon of oil to pot.  Stir in celery, carrots, rutabega, and mushrooms and scrap up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.  Cook vegetables for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add barley and continue to cook for an additional minute.

Whisk 1/4 cup beef broth into remaining flour mixture until mixed well.  Add slurry, along with remaining broth, beef cubes, and bay leaf.  Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer, stirring occasionally.  Simmer for 1 hour (uncovered) or until beef is tender and stew is thickened.  Remove bay leaf, garnish with parsley if desired and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment