Pages

1.01.2010

Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup

I usually double this recipe or triple it - we LOVE this soup (stew? it's on the thicker side)!  You can easily freeze this to reheat later - I like to do it in my food-saver bags, then all I have to do is boil the bag.  I tend to "eye-ball" my measurements on the onion, carrots, celery because they just add more wonderful flavor anyways.  With the wild rice - you can either use the directions listed below or cook according to the package directions with as much rice as you want! :) Serve with a nice crusty bread - I really like french or ciabatta because they're both good at soaking up the last wonderful drops in the bowl!

{please excuse my scratched up stoneware and slops of 
soup on the sides...I was in a hurry to gobble this up}


Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup

2/3 Cup Uncooked Wild Rice
2 Tbsp Butter
1 Tbsp Onion, minced
1/3 Cup Carrots, Diced
1/3 Cup Celery, Diced
1/3 Cup Flour
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Qt. Chicken Broth, heated
3 Cups Cooked Chicken, Diced
Pepper, to taste
1/2 Tsp Poultry Seasoning
1 Cup Cream

Rinse wild rice.  Soak in cold water for one hour.  Drain rice.  Cover with boiling water and cook over low heat for 40 minutes.



Melt butter in a 4-quart pan, saute' onion, carrots and celery until tender.  {isn't that just so pretty! and it smells YUMMY too!} Blend in flour.  Gradually add the heated chicken broth, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened.  Stir in the rice, chicken, and seasonings.  Simmer over low heat 7-10 minutes.  Add the cream slowly to the soup.  Heat just to serving temperature.

Makes approximately 6 bowls.

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year, Molly! :) I saw your Christmas on your main blog, but I couldn't leave a comment for some reason- it's beautiful! :) This looks *delicious*!! :) Thanks so much for all your kind words on the PW!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Amanda! Happy New Year to you too!
    I think I fixed the comment issue on my main blog...I'm not real tech/code savvy ;)

    ReplyDelete