Pages

4.05.2011

Alice's Sugar Cookies

When I was young, I would go to my grandparent's to stay for a few weeks in the summer.  My grandma was an incredible cook, as were all of her sisters.  During my stay, we always went here and there for coffee and visits with people.  Where ever we wound up for a visit, usually had some sort of treat on the table.  You can't serve coffee alone - did you know that?!  At least you can't around these parts.  We went to my grandma's sister's house quite often - Alice always had the yummiest cookies (they ranked right up there with my grandma's).  These sugar cookies happened to be one of my favorites - I remember sneaking as many as I could off the plate because she would always fill the plate back up for us! :)  These literally melt in your mouth and will bring you right back to grandma's house!

Enjoy!


Alice's Sugar Cookies

1/2 Cup Butter, softened
1/2 Cup Shortening
1 Cup White Sugar
1 Egg
1 Tsp Vanilla
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Tsp Cream of Tarter
2 Cups Flour (may need more depending on stickiness of dough)
1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  With mixer, cream together butter, shortening, and sugar until good and fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla, beat well.  Add remaining ingredients and beat until well combined.  Roll dough into 1" balls and roll in white sugar.  Place on pan and gently flatten with fork, bottom of a glass, meat tenderizer, or whatever you can find.  Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges are starting brown.  Let cool on pan for 5 minutes, then finish cooling on rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment