Pages

8.18.2010

Penuche Frosting

pe.nu.che (noun) Also, panocha. Northern, North Midland, and Western U.S. a fudgelike candy made ofbrown sugar, butter, and milk, usually with nuts.

I came across the recipe for this frosting in a book of my grandma's treasured recipes that was passed on to me.  It took me a minute to remember what this tasted like or looked like based on the name of it (amazing how fast we get attached to having a picture with a recipe), then it dawned on me, this was the stuff that tasted like caramel!! :)

This is an incredible frosting!  I love it on spice cake, but it's yummy on many other cakes too!  

Enjoy!


Penuche Frosting

1/2 Cup Butter
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Milk
1 3/4 - 2 Cups Powdered Sugar

In medium saucepan, melt butter then add brown sugar.  Bring to boil, stir constantly for 2 minutes.  Stir in milk and bring to boil again.  Remove from heat, cool to lukewarm (I only let it sit for about 5 minutes), then add powdered sugar (too keep from having to whisk your wrist off to get lumps out, pre-sift powdered sugar...or just don't worry about it like me).  Add a little hot water if it becomes too thick to spread.  Spread quickly onto cooled cake.  

No comments:

Post a Comment