Pages

5.03.2010

Wacky Cake & Chocolate Frosting

I love this recipe for so many reasons - it's so easy, I usually have everything in my pantry, it's ooey-gooey goodness, and did I mention it's easy?!  Another added bonus it this is egg-free for those with allergies.  I've included my favorite frosting recipe for with this, but you could easily use pretty much any kind of frosting your heart desires!

Enjoy!


Wacky Cake

3 Cups Flour
2 Cups Sugar
1/2 Cup Cocoa
2 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Vinegar
2 Tsp Vanilla
2/3 Cups Oil
2 Cups Cold Water

Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt together well. Make three "wells" in the dry ingredients - add vinegar, vanilla, and oil into each well. Pour cold water over everything and mix well. Pour into 9x13 greased and floured pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.


I usually always heat my ingredients on the stove. Also, depending if I want the smooth (ganache-like) frosting shown in the picture above or a fluffy chocolate frosting changes how I complete the recipe. To make the glossy, thinner frosting above - once butter, cocoa, and buttermilk are heated whisk in (sifted) powder sugar, vanilla, and salt until smooth - pour onto hot cake. If I want the fluffier stuff (which is just as delish) I mix everything in my mixer with the whisk attachment until really smooth and fluffy!

Chocolate Frosting

1/2 Cup Butter
1/4 Cup Cocoa
6 Tbsp Buttermilk (I've used heavy cream with no problems)
2 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla
1 Tiny Pinch Salt
(optional) 3/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts

Put butter, cocoa, and buttermilk in bowl - heat in microwave until boiling. Pour hot mixture in mixing bowl; add powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt - beat until smooth. Pour over hot cake (right after removing from oven). If using nuts sprinkle over frosting immediately.
 

1 comment:

  1. Your's always looks and tastes so good. Mine always looks enemic and heavy like a brick. Good baking Molly!

    ReplyDelete