Pages

4.18.2010

Buttermilk Fried Chicken

Before the recipe, I had never fried chicken in my life.  KFC or my hometown's Dairyland were my go-to places when I felt the urge to have some fried chicken because fried chicken just isn't a last minute, whip up a batch kind of meal!  I love what buttermilk seems to do for any kind of recipe, so when I came across this it got put on the weeks menu pretty promptly.  We were not disappointed at all...the skin got beautifully crispy and yummy!

Enjoy!


Buttermilk Fried Chicken

1 Fryer Chicken (2 1/2-3 lbs), cut up
1 Cup Buttermilk
1 Cup Flour
1 1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Pepper
Vegetable Oil for Frying

Place chicken in a large flat dish or you can use a large ziploc (you'll lay it flat while it marinates).  Pour buttermilk over chicken, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.  Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a large ziploc.  Drain chicken pieces; toss, one at a time in flour mixture.  Shake off excess and placed on wax paper for 15 minutes to "dry."

Heat 1/8-1/4" oil in a large skillet (I had to use 2, my biggest wasn't big enough); brown chicken on all sides.  Cover and simmer, turning occasionally, for 40-45 minutes, or until juices run clear and chicken is tender.  Uncover and cook 5 minutes longer.  Remove chicken onto paper towels to get rid of excess oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment